Call for Entries
The goal of the Pacific Bonsai Expo is to showcase beautiful and inspiring bonsai displays. Traditional two- and three-point displays are welcome, as are novel, non-traditional displays.
We have selected a fall date for the exhibit in order to highlight mature conifer foliage, and either fall color or winter silhouettes for deciduous trees.
Anyone is eligible to submit, and all entries will be reviewed by the panel of jurors, Bjorn Bjorholm, Ryan Neil, and William N. Valavanis.
Submission Period: February 1 - April 30, 2022.
- Take a photo of your tree or trees that includes all display elements, and that will give the jurors a clear idea of the impact of the display.
- Provide species and height for each tree in your display.
- For deciduous trees please provide a photo of the tree in winter silhouette.
- Send submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org between February 1st and April 30th, 2022.
Is it free to submit a tree to the jury?
- Yes, it is free to submit a tree for consideration.
Is there a fee to display my tree at the exhibit?
- Yes, exhibitors will pay an $85 fee for each display.
Can I get a waiver for the exhibitor's fee?
- Exhibitor's fees are required for all accepted entries. If you are affiliated with a bonsai club, your club may sponsor an entry on your behalf. Contact the organizers for additional information.
Who are the exhibition jurors?
- Bjorn Bjorholm, Ryan Neil, and William N. Valavanis are the jurors responsible for determining which trees are accepted for display. To learn more about the jurying process, see Exhibit Tree Selection and Judging.
Who are the exhibition judges?
- Exhibitors will be the sole members of the judging panel. To learn more about the judging process, see Exhibit Tree Selection and Judging
I have a tree for the exhibit, but I need a pot/stand/accent/etc. Can I rent or borrow one for the exhibit?
- The organizers are not able to provide display elements for exhibitors. We recommend you contact your local bonsai nursery, bonsai professional, or bonsai club for help locating items for your display. See a list of Northern California bonsai professionals and organizations.
Do I get free passes if my tree or trees are accepted for the exhibit?
- Yes. Exhibitors will receive one weekend pass ahead of the event.
What are the dimensions of the display space?
- Display table dimensions are 72" L x 29.5" W x 29" H. Contact the organizers if you feel that your tree will not fit in this space.
Will I have help setting up my display at the event?
- Exhibitors are responsible for setting up their own displays. If you need a cart to move your tree, we suggest you bring one. Although volunteers will be onsite to help with setup, we cannot guarantee they will be available to help with specific displays.
When do I need to bring my tree?
- Exhibitors are required to bring all items for their display to The Bridge Yard between (9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. on Friday, November 11, 2022).
When can I take down my display?
- Exhibitors can pack up their displays after 4:00 p.m. on Sunday, November 13th.
Are there size limits for the trees I can submit?
- We expect most submissions to be between 4" and 40" tall measured from the top of the pot to the top of the tree. If you have a tree that is outside this range you can contact the organizers to see if we can accommodate your tree.
Can I submit more than one tree for consideration?
- Yes, there is no limit on the number of submissions an individual can submit.
Are bonsai professionals eligible to submit trees for the exhibition?
- Yes. We strongly encourage bonsai professionals and hobbyists to submit trees for consideration.
Can a single tree win more than one prize?
- Yes. Although submissions are not eligible to win more than one of the four exhibit prizes (Best in show, Best conifer, Best deciduous, and Best broadleaf evergreen), any tree is eligible to win one or more sponsored prizes, including the winners of the four exhibit prizes.
Will my tree be photographed?
- Yes. Photography will be allowed during the exhibit, and the organizers will photograph exhibited trees for use on the event website or in a commemorative album.
Will there be security at the event?
- Yes. The event will have professional security guards onsite continuously Friday morning through Sunday evening. Volunteer security staff will be on duty when the event is open to visitors.